The below information relates to IMC 2023. Details for IMC 2024 will be published here in due course.
We cannot guarantee any meals that are not booked in advance. Though we will do our best to accommodate any special dietary requirements, we cannot guarantee this will always be possible - especially if we are not informed in advance. It is not possible to sell or exchange unwanted tickets when you arrive.
If you have not booked meal tickets in advance, you may be able to purchase them on campus or use cash, card, or contactless to buy on the day. Please be aware that queues for both meals and meal tickets at the IMC can be very long, especially in the first few days.
Breakfast is included with all IMC accommodation bookings. For on-campus accommodation, breakfast is served in the Refectory on campus.
If you are staying in any off-campus IMC accommodation, including Devonshire Hall, breakfast will be served in the dining room or restaurant of your accommodation. Roomzzz Aparthotel will be providing a take away breakfast service, as they do not have a dining space.
Café Lunch Credit
To book lunch at IMC 2023, delegates must purchase Cafe Lunch Credit vouchers. This option provides a credit of £6.50 to be used at University of Leeds Cafés or street food huts listed below and are valid during opening hours of the various outlets on campus for the day on which they are issued. Examples of the food on offer are given below.
- Esther Simpson Café, Esther Simpson Building: Serving speciality coffee from Darkwoods, Esther Simpson café has a great selection of classic sandwiches, including vegan and gluten free choices, flavourful flatbreads and indulgent all-vegan cakes.
- Streetfood Hut, University Square: Located on the precinct, serving freshly cooked Streetfood dishes, the Hut provides a daily hot classic and vegan option, as well as cold drinks, sandwiches and snacks.
- HUGO, University Square: Grab a quick barista coffee on the go with a limited range of baguettes and snacks available also
- Parkinson Café, Parkinson Building: With freshly brewed Costa Coffee, the café also serves a range of sandwiches, paninis and snacks throughout the day.
- 1915, Sir William Henry Bragg Building: The 1915’s relaxed and informal menu has been carefully created to offer classic, gluten-free and vegan options, with regionally sourced coffee and handmade cakes sitting alongside more contemporary wraps and flatbreads.
- The Edit Room, Edward Boyle Library: The Edit Room prides itself on its excellent quality roast by craft roasters Dark Woods.
- The Refectory: Located right at the heart of University campus, the contemporary Refectory venue offers a wide range of hot and cold cafeteria-style lunches and dinners
Please note that the opening times for these venues will be confirmed in the printed IMC programme which will be available on arrival.
Café Lunch Credit cannot be used in Café Nero and Leeds University Union venues such as Co-Op, Common Ground, Old Bar, or the Terrace.
Alternatively, delegates may buy their own meals using cash/card payment at any of the wide variety of food options available on campus.
A two-course hot meal served in the Refectory, costing £15.50. This may be pre-ordered or paid for using cash/card during the IMC.
Please provide as much detail as possible about your dietary requirements when you register and purchase your meal tickets. We will pass this information to the University's catering team, who will do their best to meet your needs. However, we cannot always guarantee this will be possible, especially if we are informed after 05 May 2023.
To provide kosher meals, the University orders meals in advance from a specialist supplier. You can order Kosher meals for lunch and dinner when you register online to attend the IMC. If you request Kosher meals and have booked your accommodation with us, we will also arrange a Kosher breakfast.
Alternative Meal Options
If you would prefer to purchase your meals elsewhere, there are a variety of options on and around campus:
- The Refectory, where you can purchase cafeteria-style lunches and dinners
- Old Bar and Terrace Bar, Leeds University Union, licensed premises serving a variety of meal and drink options
- Leeds University Union shops
- Street food will also be available every lunchtime in University Square
Find these and other options by using the ‘Food’ filter (under the Facilities tab) on the University campus map.
Leeds city centre and the surrounding areas also boast a very wide variety of coffee shops, bars, and restaurants.
Reusable Bottles and Cups
The University of Leeds and Leeds University Union have pledged to eliminate single-use plastic across campus by 2023.
If you have a reusable water bottle or coffee cup, please bring it with you to use the tea and coffee stations and water coolers on campus.
Reusable coffee cups and water bottles are also available to buy on campus, including from the IMC Souvenirs stand. This year we are promoting the use of "keep cups" by offering a pre-order on an IMC-branded reuseable Cortado coffee cup when you register online. Your cup should be collected from the Souvenirs stand which will be located in Leeds University Union Foyer. The Souvenirs stand is open throughout the Second hand and Antiquarian Bookfair and Medieval Craft Fair. For opening times, visit the Markets and Fairs page.