International Medieval Research (IMR) is a series of volumes produced by the Institute for Medieval Studies in partnership with Brepols Publishers.
Although the IMC does not publish its full proceedings, IMR seeks to showcase research that has been shared and developed by the IMC.
Proposing a volume
Anyone is eligible to propose a volume in the IMR series. The person who makes the proposal should either be willing to edit the volume themselves, or nominate an editor.
The Editorial Board will consider an informal proposal first, before deciding whether to invite you to submit a formal proposal for consideration by Brepols.
A volume should consist of 10-20 selected, edited papers with a coherent organising principle. Papers should be 5,000-8,000 words. Articles have been published in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
If you would like to propose a future volume or receive further information on the process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Axel E. W. Müller, Institute for Medieval Studies, University of Leeds- Executive Editor
- John B. Dillon, Memorial Library, University of Wisconsin, Madison
- Richard K. Emmerson, School of Arts, Manhattan College, New York
- Christian Krötzl, Department of History & Philosophy, University of Tampere
- Chris P. Lewis, Department of History, King’s College London / Institute of Historical Research, University of London
- Pauline Stafford, School of History, University of Liverpool / Institute for Medieval Studies, University of Leeds
So far, 24 volumes have been published in the series:
- IMR 1: Across the Mediterranean Frontiers: Trade, Politics and Religion, 650-1450, Dionisius A. Agius and Ian Richard Netton (eds)
- IMR 2: Dictionaries of Medieval Germanic Languages: A Survey of Current Lexicographical Projects, K.H. van Dalen-Oskam, K.A.C. Depuydt, W.J.J. Pijnenburg and T.H. Schoonberg (eds)
- IMR 3: From Clermont to Jerusalem: The Crusades and Crusader Societies, 1095-1500, Alan V. Murray (ed)
- IMR 4: The Community, the Family and the Saint: Patterns of Power in Early Medieval Europe, Joyce Hill and Mary Swan (eds)
- IMR 5: The Vocation of Service to God and Neighbour: Essays on the Interests, Involvements and Problems of Religious Communities and their Members in Medieval Society, Joan Greatrex (ed)
- IMR 6: Negotiating Secular & Ecclesiastical Power: Western Europe in the Central Middle Ages, Arnoud-Jan A. Bijsterveld, Henk Teunis, Andrew Wareham (eds)
- IMR 7: Christianizing People and Converting Individuals, Guyda Armstrong and Ian N. Wood (eds)
- IMR 8: Decorations for the Holy Dead: Visual Embellishment on Tombs and Shrines of Saints, Stephen Lamia and Elizabeth Valdez del Álamo (eds)
- IMR 9: Time and Eternity: The Medieval Discourse, Gerhard Jaritz and Gerson Moreno-Riaño (eds)
- IMR 10: The White Mantle of Churches: Architecture, Liturgy, and Art around the Millennium, Nigel Hiscock (ed)
- IMR 11: Love, Marriage, and Family Ties in the Later Middle Ages, Isabel Davis, Miriam Müller, Sarah Rees Jones (eds)
- IMR 12: The Medieval Household in Christian Europe, c. 850 – c. 1550: Managing Wealth, Power, and the Body, Cordelia Beattie, Anna Maslakovic, Sarah Rees Jones (eds)
- IMR 13: Exile in the Middle Ages, Laura Napran and Elizabeth van Houts (eds)
- IMR 14: Aspects of Power and Authority in the Middle Ages, Brenda Bolton and Christine Meek (eds)
- IMR 15: Languages of Love and Hate: Conflict, Communication, and Identity in the Medieval Mediterranean World, Sarah Lambert and Helen J. Nicholson (eds)
- IMR 16: Representations of Power in the Medieval Germany, 800-1500, Björn Weiler and Simon MacLean (eds)
- IMR 17: Behaving like Fools: Voice, Gesture, and Laughter in Texts, Manuscripts, and Early Books, Lucy Perry and Alexander Schwarz (eds)
- IMR 18: Medieval Life Cycles: Continuity and Change, Isabelle Cochelin and Karen Smyth (eds)
- IMR 19: Problems and Possibilities of Early Medieval Charters, Jonathan Jarrett and Allan Scott McKinley (eds)
- IMR 20: The Tree: Symbol, Allegory, and Mnemonic Device in Medieval Art and Thought, Pippa Salonius and Andrea Worm (eds)
- IMR 21: Travel and Mobilities in the Middle Ages: From the Atlantic to the Black Sea, Felicitas Schmieder and Marianne O’Doherty (eds)
- IMR 22: Approaches to Poverty in Medieval Europe: Complexities, Contradictions, Transformations, c. 1100-1500, Sharon Farmer (ed)
- IMR 23: Miracles in Medieval Canonization Processes: Structures, Functions and Methodologies, Christian Krötzl and Sari Katajala-Peltomaa (eds)
- IMR 24: Pleasure in the Middle Ages, Naama Cohen-Hanegbi and Piroska Nagy (eds)